Chair-Elect, Katie Johnson, shares that Oak Ridge National Laboratory is seeking to hire a Postdoctoral Research Associate – Separations Chemistry. This is a 2 year postdoctoral research position with the ability to extend for a 3rd year. Interested parties can apply until the posting closes on 11-Feb.
See more information, including contact details, below.
Location: Oak Ridge, TN, US, 37830
Company: Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Oak Ridge National Laboratory is the largest US Department of Energy science and energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems in energy and security.
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate who will support the Separations Chemistry Group in the Chemical Sciences Division (CSD), Physical Sciences Directorate (PSD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) who will focus on the development of new improved processes for the separation of critical materials relevant to energy.
As part of our research team, you will be responsible for delivering high impact research results to advance the work on ion separations. You will be very closely working with specialists in synthesis, separations chemistry, radiochemistry, theory, spectroscopy, and materials characterization.
- Design and execute liquid-liquid separation experiments to meet project goals
- Perform ion separation experiments, use ICP and IC to determine ion concentrations
- Participate in project planning and execution
- Present and report research results at the project, group, PI meetings and national conferences
- Publish scientific results in peer-reviewed journals in a timely manner
- Ensure compliance with environment, safety, health and quality program requirements
- Maintain strong dedication to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics
- A PhD in Chemistry or a related field completed within the last 5 years
- A record of productive and creative research proven by publications in peer-reviewed journals
- A strong background in separations chemistry of metal ions, most desirably experience with lanthanides and/or transition metals
- Expertise in solvent extraction and use of appropriate analytical techniques such as ICP-OES or ICP-MS and/or radiometric analysis
- Experience in characterization of organic compounds by 1D NMR, FTIR, and UV-vis spectroscopy
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs
Please submit three letters of reference when applying to this position. You can upload these directly to your application or have them sent to email@example.com with the position title and number referenced in the subject line.