Awardees will receive a $1,500 stipend to cover Spring ACS national meeting expenses along with a one-year mentorship program that pairs them with an industry employee. They will present their research at an ACS PRIDE-Merck Graduate Research Award half-day symposium.
Who can apply?
To apply for the ACS Pride-Merck Graduate Research Award, you must:
- Be a US citizen (studying anywhere) or a non-US citizen attending a graduate program in the US or Canada.
- Be a member of the Division of Professional Relations (PROF) and a member of the subdivision ACS Pride
- Be available to present your research at the National meeting where you will receive your award. This will take place at the spring national meeting that follows your application submission.
- Complete the application prior to the deadline with all components submitted.
When would the award be presented?
The awards will be presented during the ACS spring national meeting. Award recipients will receive a check prior to the meeting to support travel costs. Those receiving the award that cannot attend the national meeting in person are expected to return the award funds but will still maintain their awardee status.
What should be included in the award application package?
- Research abstract (no more than 2500 characters in length) submitted to the ACS PRIDE Graduate Research Symposium.
- Confirmation that the graduate student can participate in the spring meeting in person.
- Personal statement that reflects the candidate’s journey as an LGBTQIA2S+ individual in STEM. Candidates are encouraged to include any volunteer experiences that focus on LGBTQIA2S+ issues but are not required to do so. Personal statements should be no more than 500 words in length.
- A copy of their C.V. or resume
- Proof of enrollment at a US based institution for graduate studies
- A letter of recommendation in support of the applicant is strongly encouraged but not required.
- Confirmation of the ability to use their name and likeness in publications.
All application materials must be submitted by November 1, 2023.
For more information, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org